I'll take just a minute from you 😇
Please create a free account and continue enjoying the course.
14. Fight the Petroff Defense
(4 hours 53 min)
The Petroff Defense, 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nf6, is an annoying opening to face with White.
With players like Fabiano Caruana using it against other top GMs, it’s no surprise that this line has become more popular in recent years.
At the same time some players just want to bore you and make a quick draw using this line.
But don't worry! In this course you’ll see how to play against the Petroff Defense steering clear of any drawish lines...
Below are some of the positions from this opening taken from the course:
If you’re a 2200+ player you’ll find many ideas with deeper analysis in the Advanced section to enhance your understanding of this line.
Once you finish the course you can expect to get a fighting position even against a boring opening like the Petroff Defense.
Let’s get started!
Additional Resources: Many Petroff players might play for the dubious but trendy Stafford Gambit. We have a 47-minute course and an article showing how to refute this gambit!
What you'll learn
- How to create an imbalance in the position and fight for the opening advantage with the 5.Nc3 line.
- How to play in opposite-side castling positions.
- A subtle and dangerous trap, one of whose victim was a former World Champion.
- The game plan you should follow in the middlegame so that you know exactly what to do after the opening.
Lesson Plan108 episode(s) 4 hours 53 min
Students give this course an average of 4.9 out of 5 stars.